Sunday 22 January 2012

Facing the inevitable

I think I’d been in denial about the clean-up of the muck and silt left by the floodwater (not to mention the sodden shelves, furniture and rubbish in the shed!) Remembering how vile and toxic the water apparently was, I’ve been preoccupied with preventing much dust inhalation, and any infected cuts or the like.  Not easy when you’ve got two little boys who live to get dirty, and Daddy is busily carving up the property on a dry dusty day.

Since bringing in the necessities like water, electricity, coffee, a beer fridge etc., to make the hard work all a bit more civilised and digestible, the place has started to feel a bit like home. Spent a great day there on Saturday, cleaning out the cubby and the shed - my boys playing together more happily than they perhaps ever have (bliss).  Today, my 4 y o even said, when we left for the Mud House today “are we going home now?”  So next I needed to tackle the layer of dried brown slime on our new home that, for me at least, had become the veritable elephant in the room. 
Shed cleared. can start movin. Am very taken with our new high pressure washer!  


Will find these little guys a new home when they've had a bath.

Shed resident.  I think it was the biggest spider I have ever seen.  approx my handspan.

Beloved Other Half doesn’t really notice the disgustingness of it all, being a bloke, and being so focused on the project managing side of things (which is great of course as he’s managing to achieve amazing progress).  

2 yr old getting in on the cleaning.  loves to mop!
The steps were particularly crusty.
 I, on the other hand, still felt quite squeamish entering the house.   Much improved since all the crusty muddy fittings were ripped out, but still, it was like everything was coated with a thick layer of dried bird poo; thanks to all of the paper insulation having spewed forth, wet, from the ceiling.  It seriously looks like the house has been pummelled with millions of oversized spit balls, inside and out.  Ew.  Thanks go to Nature Direct for making a gross job easier.  Although, there is still a ways to go...

ahhhh.



No comments: