Monday 16 January 2012

The Mud House Settles


Whether we're crazy or merely intrepid, we have bought ourselves a home in a rather sad state, having been submerged to its roof a year ago in filthy flood muck. When we first viewed the property we were met with silt encrusted christmas wreaths and scattered bits of toys throughout the yard. I felt so sad for the owners.  We knew at least that they'd been paid their insurance and had chosen to move on.

On Friday the Mud House settled and we can finally get in and start. Beloved other half's been in ripping out bathrooms today, and this afternoon I visited it as our own for the first time. Discovered a macadamia nut tree in the front yard, and a few treasures left behind.










And had a surprising welcome from one of the locals when I went to clear the letterbox.  Scared the hell out of me!  Isn't he gorgeous!?
The green frogs are fat healthy specimens out this way.

The back story here is that I grew up on the river in Brisbane and I've always wanted that sort of environment for my boys to grow up in.  My Father bought our family home after the floods in 1974, and whilst their home was evacuated a year ago, it narrowly missed being completely inundated.  So, its a bit of history repeating itself, and being aware that this will likely happen again, we're happy to accept that our city is built on a flood plain.   I think the water authorities have learned a lot in recent times though, and we don't expect to have to worry about it for another forty odd years. and if we're wrong, well there's always insurance.

xc


2 comments:

The House That A-M Built said...

Yay, you're here Carrie. So excited to be following your wonderful project. I am going to invite myself out to see the 'before'... before the transformation is underway. From your photos, it looks like the most heavenly spot! A-M xx

Carrie said...

Absolutely! come and see it soon. someon's been very busy and its transforming before my very eyes! xc